Friday, January 16, 2009

North Face of Shuksan

After climbing the Supercanaleta I had barely enough time to pack my bags and catch a bus out of El Chalten, because I was already overdue for the start of winter quarter. I think I slept a total of less than eight hours between the summit of Fitz and my home in Seattle! I've been super busy living the city life, and trying to get caught up in school work. Fortunately though, I have no classes on Thursdays this quarter, and neither does my brother, Booth. So with a forecast for sunny skies and unseasonably high freezing levels, we decided for a ski-mountaineering trip up Mt. Shuksan.

Traversing from the Mt. Baker ski area towards the North Face, which is the left skyline:


Climbing the North Face:


Circumnavigating most the summit pyramid to climb it from the Sulphide Glacier side:


Climbing rime on the summit pyramid:


Los hermanos Haley al cumbre:


Putting skins back on en-route to the White Salmon Glacier, which we skied down in fading light. Mt. Baker behind: